Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Week Sixteen

Greetings. I am writing this the day before we depart for the Olympics! There is still a lot to be done, like packing, final school work etc. I feel as though there is a spirit of excitement, hesitation, fear and hopefulness shared by everyone. Please be praying for us. This is an incredible opportunity, pray that God would use us in big ways. So we leave early tomorrow morning, to catch the dress rehearsal of the opening ceremonies and then we have training on Thursday then our first shift on Friday! Wow, I am excited and nervous just writing this.
Moving back though, this past week was a week of class with the one and only Jim Paulson, aka the most quotable prof of K7. To fully grasp this, please check out kaleoseven.blogspot.com and read some of his memorable lines. The class was Introduction to Theology. The word theology used to make me cringe. I saw it, and must confess to still somewhat struggle with the need for it and I saw it as old men taking the life out of a relationship with God. Pretty tough preconceptions to go into a course with and still trying to have an open mind eh? The way that I see theology at the end of the week is "faith seeking understanding". We have the faith, and the relationship with the Lord, however, like Colossians 3:10 says, "put on your new nature and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him" That is very much what I want through this course. I want to know my Creator better through studying doctrines and exploring large questions, but as a result, I want to become more like my Creator through the knowledge that I have gained. I feel that through this course, I have a larger desire to spend more time in God's word as it is our primary authority and it is completely true in all that it says. Sure there are some things about theology that I struggle with like the whole Calvinism/Arminianism question and all that covers. I have no stance on the matter. I believe that I can live as a Christian and follower of Jesus without declaring my position on the spectrum. I am thankful that as I reflect on this past week academically, I am not cringing at the thought of Theology but rather I am welcoming more opportunities to learn more about my Creator and become like him.
On Tuesday, we had chapel and like we normally do in chapel, people share their testimonies. I felt like I needed to share mine. So I shared, mostly talking about the life changing summer I had doing CIT and the years that followed that, especially concerning the area of boldness. It was strange, I have always had trouble with putting into words my testimony, so I feel like I left out large areas of my life that maybe I should have talked about and kinda felt that I didn't do my life justice however I just spoke, and it wasn't anything that I would come up with if I prepared it ahead of time. I pray that it would resonate with people, challenge people and encourage them. To be honest, I don't know what the effect was on people. It was kinda strange. I am glad that I did share, and people encouraged me with words after, but I pray that it was the Spirit leading me and using my words to demonstrate what he wanted to tell people.
Friday at youth was a blast! The night was a "So You Think You Can Dance" event, and so all the Kaleos who go to New Life made an intro dance that we seriously whipped up in about ten minutes. We were all wearing sweet clothes and got everyone pumped up. Then we would go around to the different dance groups and help them come up with dances and then we would judge them at the end. It was so much fun! It was probably the event that I felt most involved. I felt that I was really needed for the success of the night and I enjoyed having this role in the evening. I can recall struggling with feeling involved and needed some nights at youth, and Friday was not one of those nights thankfully. It seems too that our energy and enthusiasm got all the other kids pumped up and even drew us together with some of the kids.
Saturday was an amazing day too. The sun was out and it was warm, which is a once a week type of event here. This resulted in no homework getting done, playing ultimate frisbee barefoot outside and a mudfight. Earlier that day, Justin and I had a great time sharing bible verses and thoughts while on a walk in my favourite place in the woods. I would like to share some of these verses as they really resonated with me, and maybe they will with you too.
Matthew 10:28 - Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul, but rather, fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Psalm 78:72 - So he shepherded them according to the integrity of his heart and he guided them with his skillful hands.
Isaiah 30:18 - So the Lord must wait for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion. For the Lord is a faithful God, blessed are those who wait on his help.
Sunday night was a great time as always at the homeless ministry. We tried listening more as we prayed. I felt some frustration as I did not hear anything from God about these people or the town of Duncan. I have always been frustrated about my ability to listen to God. I want more than anything to listen to God and not always be speaking and asking him for things, however I have hard times hearing him. I want to be hearing him loudly at the Olympics and being obedient to his call.
That is a quick update. Please don't forget to pray for our ministry trips! Can't wait to fill you all in when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment