Monday, October 19, 2009

Week Four

Well there was a change of plans this week. After thanksgiving last weekend, we were supposed to go surfing in Tofino for three days, however this was not meant to be. The trip was postponed due to bad weather. We were supposed to be going camping while surfing, so it would not be much fun being wet and cold all day surfing and then returning to camp and being wet and cold for the night too. We will now be going surfing after this week of classes. So sure enough, today has actually been the first day without rain in about a week. This is my first taste of the west coast winter I think.
Not willing to let the elements control our week, on Tuesday we all went caving in the Horne Lake caves. It was a blast. Having done a lot of caving in Orangeville, I always enjoy going underground through the tight rock tunnels. These caves were incredible though, way better than any other caves I've been in. After that we went to a market place called Coombs, then finished the day with several hours at the Nanimo pool. Its amazing how much fun the simplest of events can be when surrounded by good company. I'm reminded by 1 Corinthians 15:33 that says, "bad company corrupts good character". I know the opposite to be true too. It is incredibly beautiful and exciting watching this community take shape. We've had a lot more free time this week due to the fact that our trip was cancelled, but as a result we have had some amazing chapels where several people have shared their stories and have really set the tone of being honest and open right from day one. A sense a large amount of trust between people here, and I have seen the truth of the fact that "as iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend". Jim described this place on the first day as a rock tumbler, and we definitely are grinding each other down to perfection. Please pray with me for this community. I thank God because I feel like this is the type of community that God has in mind for us. A community of openness, love, encouragement, discipline, laughter, support, correction, forgiveness and compassion.
Here's a taste of some things that happened this week in our community. From Thursday lunch to Friday lunch the girls and guys separated for their time called DTG, ditch the girls or ditch the guys. I can only talk about my experience of this time, but it was amazing. Such a good time of fun with the guys. We rented an arena and played a good game of ice hockey, followed by a game of ultimate frisbee and grounders in a nearby park. We retreated back to Jim's house (our leader) for a manly meal of steak and fries and ice cream. These were good times, but the best part for me was the part later on in the night when we all got together, along with four women from around the camp to ask them anything our hearts desired. We had a lot of fun I think doing this, but our questions had definite purpose: we wanted to know what it meant to be a godly guy, and what a godly woman looks like and how we can be godly men. Jim and even the girls were telling us how desperate the church is for godly men these days, and I believe it. Please pray for all of the guys here at Kaleo, that we would grow into godly men, men who are confidant in Christ and not afraid to take a stand for Him, men that are leaders in their relationships, and in the church and in their communities. Also that we would have opportunities to develop into godly men. After we came back from Jim's house, as we slept there and had a great waffle breakfast in the morning, we entered our rooms and to our great surprise, we found that our rooms were spotless! Not how we left them! It turns out that as we were out, some of the girls decided to "prank us" and clean our rooms. Funny how we were talking about women's roles the night before........ just kidding! Also posted on our doors were notes of encouragement to each of the guys from the girls. It was so encouraging. Truly this is community as God intended it. I developing a huge heart for my brothers and sisters here.
On Friday night we had youth group. It was "Fruit Night" for me and the Jr. High group. I was skeptical at first of how we could spend a whole night playing fruity games, but I am constantly surprised by this youth group. We had a blast. I am really loving the kids that I am involved with. This week was particularily great because I got to lead the small group that had a bunch of grade 8 guys that I really enjoy. They are CRAZY! So wild and off the wall, but I love them! They have embraced me and I have done the same. I enjoyed having a lot of fun with them, but also the fact that I can be an example to them as someone older that follows Christ. I really hope that my life would be inspiring to them. Please pray for these guys, and for my role with them. I never really know what my position is every week at youth. The first week I was with a group of grade 7 guys with another leader, who was the known leader, and I just helped him out. The week after that, I guided the grade 8 guys around Duncan, handing out cookies, and then this past week I led the grade 8 guys group. I really want to stay with these guys, even though I am supposed to be with the grade sevens. I am so happy when I think of what I can be part of. This is all new for me, having to join a new church and be part of it. I feel that there is no greater way of doing this than through serving. On Sunday after church, as usual our church group went out for lunch to someone's house. This Sunday we went to a couple's house whose son was a worship leader at the church. There was 12 of us, the couple, their son and his wife and their two small kids, and then all of the Kaleos who go to New Life. It was a great meal, great conversation, but my favourite part of the Sunday was when Justin and I played soccer with Rebecca and Micah, the two kids probably aged 6 and 8. I think that I can understand Jesus' love for children after playing with these kids. It brought me so much joy to see their smiles and hear their laughter. Later that night, a bunch of Kaleos went to the homeless ministry that New Life's young adults program offers. I really wanted to go to this, but I just had way to much work to do. Its hard sacrificing things that I really want to do, to do school work. It makes me wonder, what is better, to write a paper about what Proverbs says about the heart, or to go out onto the streets with people that want to share their hearts with me.
Today was the first day of Hermeneutics class. It was long. It was slow. But I know that it is important. A wise man once said to me, "The mind can only absorb what the butt can endure" and I was beginning to wonder how much my mind was absorbing. Please pray for me, as I really feel that this is the stuff that I need to learn and learn well. This is going to be a challenging week but I guess those can be the times that we grow the most. My goal is to spend solid one on one time with every prof that comes here to Kaleo. I started that last course and I'm thinking of things to ask Merrill, the prof for hermeneutics.
I'm starting to be intentional with spending time with God, in the mornings giving Him the first part of my day. Its such a peaceful time of the day and I find that it really helps me meditate on God throughout the day. I think that I am going to start reading with someone else too, trying to read the bible like it was originally used back before the days of the printing press. I am going to be working this weekend as a counselor for the Jr. High retreat. Please pray for this weekend, for my kids that I will be spending all weekend with. Prepare their hearts and mine for what can happen this weekend. Also pray for me as I have a paper due soon, and I don't know how much work I will be able to do this weekend, probably none.
Thanks again! See you in a week.

3 comments:

  1. Yo jer! Your ditch-the-girls time sounds awesome!! I loved the skateboarding video as well...so sweetness. I love hearing your thoughts every week, the challenges, growing points and things you are thinking of. Thanks for sharing and posting pictures!! Love it ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah - Jer, this will become the mantra of my college life: the mind can only absorb what the butt can endure.

    I'm praying for deeper connections, Jer. I would also highly suggest getting to know your profs on a deeper level - get a mentor.

    you are loved, brother.
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! WOW! And WOW!! Sounds super awesome! I pray for you daily and know that God is doing a work in you and through you! Love you and miss you. Peace!
    Pete

    ReplyDelete